Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Top Ten Films of 2009 (The Belated Edition)

Even though 2009 has come and past, I couldn't help, but find myself immersed in the films from yesteryear. Usually I'm much quicker than this, but I felt there were too many films I had to see before I weighed in on my list. Obviously my list has the caveat of missing a few films, but when I look back on the list of films that I saw throughout the year, I felt I did an admirable job of watching as many as I possibly could. But as I look back on the year, I also feel that the year wasn't a strong way to cap off the decade. Certainly there were great, great films, but the year lacked a handful of definite masterpieces. Yet, when it's all said and done, this top ten list consists of films that I feel are worth at least one watch, if not adding to your film collection. Be sure to list your favorites or what you think! Without further ado, here are my top ten films from 2009:

Top Ten:

  1. (500) Days of Summer
  2. Up in the Air
  3. The Hurt Locker
  4. Sin Nombre
  5. Inglourious Basterds
  6. Where the Wild Things Are
  7. Up
  8. District 9
  9. In the Loop
  10. An Education

Honorable Mentions: A Single Man, A Serious Man, The White Ribbon, Precious, Moon, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, and Avatar.

Best Actor: Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker)

Runner Up: George Clooney (Up in the Air)

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan (An Education)

Runner Up: Gabby Sidibe (Precious)

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds)

Runner Up: Anthony Mackie (The Hurt Locker)

Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique (Precious)

Runner Up: Anna Kendrick (Up in the Air)

Best Cinematography: The White Ribbon

Runner Up: Where the Wild Things Are

Best Score: Where the Wild Things Are
~http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbmXRGkgKwU

Runner Up: A Single Man

Best Original Song: "All is Love" - Karen O. (Where the Wild Things Are)~http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAfcBwYuNDU

Runner Up: "The Weary Kind"- (Crazy Heart)

Best Original Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino (Inglourious Basterds)

Runner Up: Scott Neudstadter and Michael Weber (500 Days of Summer)

Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker)

Runner Up: Jason Reitman (Up in the Air)


Top Ten from Year's Past:

Top Ten 2007

  1. There Will Be Blood
  2. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
  3. 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
  4. Atonement
  5. Juno
  6. Once
  7. No Country for Old Men
  8. Sweeney Todd
  9. Superbad
  10. Hairspray

Top Ten 2008

  1. The Dark Knight
  2. The Wrestler
  3. Slumdog Millionaire
  4. Wall-E
  5. In Bruges
  6. Milk
  7. Synecdoche, New York
  8. Happy-Go-Lucky
  9. Frost/Nixon
  10. Let the Right One In



1 comment: